Organ builder John Snetzler was born Johann Schnetzler in Schaffhausen in 1710. He trained with the firm of Egedacher in Passau and initially worked in partnership with his cousin Johann Conrad Speisegger. He may have joined Christian Müller in building the famous organ in the Bavokerk in Haarlem. Snetzler arrived in London around 1742 and worked from premises in Oxford Street. He collaborated on occasion with piano maker Jacob Kirkman. His organ for St Margaret’s at King’s Lynn in 1754 earned him the praise of Charles Burney. For the next fifteen years his skills were in continuous demand all over Britain. He was naturalised in 1770, but returned to Schaffhausen in 1780 where he died in September 1785. His thriving business was continued by Swedish immigrant Jonathan Ohrmann and later taken over by Thomas Elliot.